Author Topic: Glad I found this forum  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Aspectshift

• View Profile
Glad I found this forum
« on: 2018-10-01 12:42:48 »
Hi Everyone,

I'm glad I found this forum.

For several years my foreskin has been easily irritated. In high school, I had some issue with it but with keeping it clean with mild soap I was fine. Then in my late 30s and now into my 40s, I find myself getting irritated on the inside often. I went to my usual doctor and dermatologist and they just gave me a couple creams. I was never introduced to the idea of having it retracted all the time. I didn't think it was possible. But I remembered my doctor telling me to keep the foreskin retracted after a shower to let it dry and it got me thinking why don't I keep it retracted all the time.

For a few weeks now, I've been trying to keep it retracted. Fortunately, my foreskin stays behind the glans but it's getting harder since the weather is starting to get colder...
Also hard to keep it retracted in the evening when I'm not keeping an eye on it...
I'm thinking that I shouldn't sweat too much over it and just keep it pulled back when I notice it isn't and over time it will get better.

I've been finding that if I get an irritation, it goes away faster if I keep it retracted and dry.
Also, Part of avoiding irritation is to avoid anyway for fungus to get on it. A few months back I realized how musty my bath towel was and so I decided to roll the foreskin over the head while I dried myself and not touch the head or inside of the foreskin with the towel. After getting out of the shower and dried off, except for the head/foreskin, I would pull back and dry the area with a clean pair of cotton underpants or t-shirt. It's not enough water to make a wet spot. I wrap it around the head and skin and squeeze. This way, I am fairly confident that I didn't get any fungus or mold/mildew on it and still get the dryness from using a towel. I think it helps.

Unfortunately, for a couple days I've had an irritation and decided to add witch hazel to see how it works. It's only a day now, so I have no conclusions yet. I applied it to the irritated area (underside/inside of the foreskin) after my shower in the morning and tried to stay pulled back as much as possible throughout the day. In the evening I noticed some bumps/rash forming. I noticed that if I can keep the skin retracted long enough, the tip of the bump gets white. When I carefully rub it, the white tip comes off. I guess it's dry skin falling off. First time seeing this so I'm a little nervous about it, but will keep trying the witch hazel to see how it works.
The witch hazel I am using is CVS brand (I'm in the USA), Pore Perfect Toner. Ingredients are witch hazel and alcohol. So it may be the alcohol doing the drying. But alcohol would evaporate pretty quickly. It hasn't hurt or caused any burning for me. We have this in the house because my wife's doctor recommended it to her for some bumpy skin she's been experiencing. I will report back with my findings in a week or so.

I'm glad I found this forum. Glad to know I'm not the only one...

Offline skinhead

• Permanently skinhead - no going back
    • View Profile
Re: Glad I found this forum
« Reply #1 on: 2018-10-01 13:02:24 »
Hi
How fascinating - sounds familiar (not the exact scenario re irritation) and I can only say one thing: persevere with jsut keeping it pulled back - I found that over time the ridge became thicker, and thus the skin was more likely to remain back

Offline Aspectshift

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 2018-10-02 11:45:33 »
Hi
How fascinating - sounds familiar (not the exact scenario re irritation) and I can only say one thing: persevere with jsut keeping it pulled back - I found that over time the ridge became thicker, and thus the skin was more likely to remain back

Do you mean, don't use the witch hazel toner?

Thanks for the input!

Offline skinhead

• Permanently skinhead - no going back
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 2018-10-02 21:27:29 »
No no - I didn't mean that: I simply meant that persistence pays off... If you need / want / have to put anything else on that may help, it's probably worth it

Offline Aspectshift

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 2018-10-03 11:51:14 »
No no - I didn't mean that: I simply meant that persistence pays off... If you need / want / have to put anything else on that may help, it's probably worth it

Thank you for the clarification.

I've only been doing this for a few days and I'm quickly realizing that results will come from months of persistence. Even then, I will have to continue to persist but hopefully won't take as much energy than it is now.

Offline Aspectshift

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 2018-10-04 13:53:58 »
I decided to not use the witch hazel today because I noticed on the bottle it says it doesn't dry skin... But that is exactly what I am trying to do! Lol...

I did a little research and read some articles that witch hazel is good for acne and reducing oil but for dry skin, it does the opposite. Although it does remove oil it does without drying the skin.

I will see how it is today without using witch hazel.

It's always hard to figure out what is working and what is not because each day I'm at a different point of recovering from the irritation I have.

In the past, I have used premoistened toilet paper (Cottonelle fresh care wipes). I would pull back, wrap the wipe around it and squeeze to try and get as much of the moisture in the wipe to get on the foreskin. I would then roll it back over the head and this seemed to help the recovery faster. I've never tried this with it pulled back all the time. I don't know why I didn't think of it.
I'm hoping that after being pulled back all the time and the foreskin keratinizes, I will have less issues with irritation.

It's only been a few days but the irritation is slowly subsiding. Two nights ago it was both itchy and a bit of pain. Last night, it was just a little itchiness.

I'm also using a ring (posting in general discussion about this) at the base of the head and the foreskin bunches behind it staying pulled back.

Offline soundsgreat87

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 2018-10-04 20:03:11 »
In my experience witch hazel didn't do much... and it's something like 70% alcohol. I think the alcohol does more to dry than the witch hazel. 90% rubbing alcohol certainly seems to dry it better.

Offline Aspectshift

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 2018-10-05 14:54:57 »
In my experience witch hazel didn't do much... and it's something like 70% alcohol. I think the alcohol does more to dry than the witch hazel. 90% rubbing alcohol certainly seems to dry it better.

I totally agree.
It seemed like my skin was drying faster without the witch hazel yesterday so I decided to stop using it. Not using anything. Just air drying.

Offline headytimes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 2018-11-02 01:48:03 »
I had similar problems with infections and can honestly say pulling back has cured those issues completely. Persistence is the key, just keep pulling back. First couple of weeks were the toughest and the changes occur slowly over time. 2 weeks, 3 months, a year etc. I didn’t use any oitments just air, and at one stage a light oil for a couple of days/week. I have a thread or two that charts my progress. Good luck and happy to chat anytime.
Retracted since Summer 2016

Offline Evolutionii

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 2018-11-04 00:43:00 »
The witch hazel I am using is CVS brand (I'm in the USA), Pore Perfect Toner...  We have this in the house because my wife's doctor recommended it to her for some bumpy skin she's been experiencing.

I find this part of your post very interesting.  Have you considered that maybe both of you are having some sort of an allergic reaction?
As you age your allergies change.  Maybe try using a different laundry detergent, dryer sheets & both of you seeing an allergist.  Maybe not, but maybe.  Good luck!

Offline Neo300588

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 2018-11-04 20:13:30 »
Hi I'd like to know where to start as i want to go down the route of full time retraction any help will be gladly recived

Offline Aspectshift

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 2019-01-04 12:51:31 »
Quick update on my status...

I've been trying to stay retracted for three months now.
After the initial irritation I had was gone, I have not had any issues since.

I don't use any rings any more since it was causing some sticky areas where it touched (wouldn't dry) so I just keep pulling the skin back. Trying to be persistent. I can't stay pulled back all the time but over time I think it will keep getting better.

Offline soundsgreat87

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 2019-01-04 17:34:18 »
Keep at it! :D