Author Topic: OpenDNS "Phishing" warning  (Read 5920 times)

Offline keratinise

• NSFW Access
OpenDNS "Phishing" warning
« on: 2016-07-02 08:14:43 »
Just an FYI. I changed my DNS settings to use the OpenDNS ones, and for whatever reason it flags the site as trying to Phish me and won't let me enter. I've switched back to automatic settings for now, but I thought people might like to know that the site is being blocked to anyone who uses OpenDNS for their DNS servers.

I hope that this site isn't inadvertently unsafe in some way, and if anything can be done to remove the flag; either removing the supposed threat, or contacting OpenDNS about the possible false flag.

Offline Kylar

• Global Moderator
Re: OpenDNS "Phishing" warning
« Reply #1 on: 2016-07-02 19:41:29 »
There used to be some statistics thingy but I've disabled it long ago.  I don't know what else could be causing trouble.

OpenDNS is a horrible service though, they break DNS (resolving non-existent sites to a valid webpage is against the standard entirely), and they've had some security issues as well in the past, so I can't recommend them.  If you want a non-ISP DNS, you might want to use Google's (but I understand some people will distrust that), who at least do proper DNS on their service at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

Offline jdm

• NSFW Access
« Reply #2 on: 2016-07-02 19:51:54 »
I use COMODO DNS servers, which are supposed to be better for security, and avoiding malware infested sites, and I don't get any warnings about pulledback.org, or problems accessing it. You might want to consider trying those as an alternative to Open DNS. Here is a URL to check them out. https://www.comodo.com/secure-dns/

Offline keratinise

• NSFW Access
« Reply #3 on: 2016-07-03 16:06:55 »
I didn't know that OpenDNS were supposedly bad. I found them on a list of good DNS servers to use.

Very unusual set of circumstances nonetheless.

Offline jdm

• NSFW Access
« Reply #4 on: 2016-07-03 21:12:58 »
Honestly, I've never heard they were bad either. But regardless, COMODO DNS is a good alternative.

Offline Kylar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: 2016-07-05 21:38:17 »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDNS#Reception ah, so they discontinued the redirection "feature"

Well, not sure what could be up, I don't see anything fishy myself.

Online thesevenpointfive

• NSFW Access
« Reply #6 on: 2016-07-17 13:30:24 »
It seems they pick on certain sites, that they seem to block, i just use the standard DNS and it fine for me
Love skining back and letting my head show