Author Topic: Does keratinization require 24/7 exposure of glans?  (Read 5395 times)

Offline bioshock0706

• NSFW Access
My penis is quite sensitive (uncircumsised) and I want keratizinization to happen, hence why I am keeping my foreskin retracted as much as I can.

However, when I go to bed, I pull it back, as the frenulum and back side of the penis is really unpleasant upon touching my boxers and the foreskin also sometimes retracts back on its own.

My question is: If I keep the glans exposed during the day only, will the keratinization still happen, or I need to do it 24/7 (at night as well), otherwise it will "wear off" and I need to start from scratch? Same for showering: When the glans is washed, won't the keratin "wash off"?

Thank you in advance and apology if my question is weird.

Offline pullbackguy

• NSFW Access
  • permanently retracted since february 2020
Re: Does keratinization require 24/7 exposure of glans?
« Reply #1 on: 2020-05-14 17:21:50 »
I think that if you want to achieve some kind of keratinization you have to go 24/7 retracted. I've heard of a lot of guys that experience some kind of uncomfortable feeling when touching something, eg. your boxers. I would just stick to doing it and after a few days it won't be as uncomfortable.
As far as I know keratinization that already happened cannot be "washed off" by taking a shower.

Offline bioshock0706

• NSFW Access
« Reply #2 on: 2020-05-14 18:04:30 »
Thank you. Are you sure?

What about if while I am asleep it retracts back because of movement and I pull it back in the morning? Or when I walk outside and also retracts back by accident and I can't pull it back in public?

It's literally impossible to keep it retracted all the time, especially when it's not erect.
« Last Edit: 2020-05-14 18:09:37 by bioshock0706 »

Offline __

• NSFW Access
« Reply #3 on: 2020-05-14 18:35:07 »
It's literally impossible to keep it retracted all the time, especially when it's not erect.

Welcome !
But it fact, it is possible, you know. Some may not want to go that way, but many of us have done so. I could had written the same sentence as you did, when I started.
Regarding keratinization, it is generated by rubbing against something which causes some extra cell layers to build up. It is not necessarily related to being "dry" - of course the permanent wetness of a covered glans disappears, but it's not like the glans will be cornified either.
There's a threshold I think, if you don't expose and rub enough in any given period of time, then it will not happen, or even worse you could generate some irritation, which then heals, then you'd repeat the cycle. Not a good way to go in my view. Also, your nerves and brain need to adapt to exposure, and if you don't do it enough it will always feel "foreign" to you. Keep in mind, you need several weeks to see significant changes.
Good luck in your endeavours.

Offline bioshock0706

• NSFW Access
« Reply #4 on: 2020-05-14 18:55:32 »
Thanks!

What tips would you recommend to keep it retracted all the time, then?

For example, when sleeping at night and turn to one side, if often gets pressured by both tighs and retracts back. It's very difficult to stay in one position so that it stays retracted. It's also quite difficult to walk outside as it again gets pressured by boxers, scrotum, etc.

How do you guys manage to keep yours retracted for days and weeks?

Offline Jimble

« Reply #5 on: 2020-05-14 19:34:43 »
There’s boxer briefs you can get that have a pocket for your dick to sit in. The Kavalier on YouTube did a review on some different options. That’ll stop the rubbing.

It all depends on the grower/shower thing in terms of methods. I’m somewhere in between and a silicone cock ring works for me. If I was a pure grower it probably wouldn’t. If I was a 100% shower, a ball stretcher alone might work. Try the different methods and see.

If you’re anywhere in the west right now you’re probably quarantined, right? If you’re able to stay inside for a week or two just pay attention to it, keep it rolled back and the sensitivity will reduce. I wouldn’t go running in a pair of loose boxers for a while.

Offline __

• NSFW Access
« Reply #6 on: 2020-05-14 19:41:16 »
Thanks!

What tips would you recommend to keep it retracted all the time, then?

For example, when sleeping at night and turn to one side, if often gets pressured by both tighs and retracts back. It's very difficult to stay in one position so that it stays retracted. It's also quite difficult to walk outside as it again gets pressured by boxers, scrotum, etc.

How do you guys manage to keep yours retracted for days and weeks?

At least initially, I think most of us needed some kind of device. I usually pulled the foreskin back, and used a small strip of medical tape to make sure it couldn't come forward. After approx. 1 year of this, I found it stayed back 99% of the time without tape.

Offline Daffyskin

• NSFW Access
  • The beauty of a foreskin is in pulling it back.
« Reply #7 on: 2020-05-14 21:55:41 »
Keratinization is not simply a single event that happens. It is a long process where the surface of the skin slowly changes its structure in response to exposure and becomes tougher. (It doesn't just apply to the glans either - there is an older post somewhere here that uses a good analogy of the inside and outside of your lips.)

The extent of keratinization that occurs depends on the length, duration and frequency of exposure. Permanent constant retraction will result in the greatest and quickest result but it will still occur to a lesser extent with part-time retraction. Although (as FrenchGuy stated) there is certain level that is needed before any changes occur.

You may find suggestions that applying various substances to the glans will speed up the process, but I think that is foolish and potentially harmful. In my opinion, time is the only thing that works.

Keratinization won't be affected by a shower - it doesn't get washed off any more than the dead cells from the rest of your skin's surface.

I'm sure more of the long-timers can pitch in with their experience.
Full-time retractor.
I just love tucking back and free-balling.

Offline bioshock0706

• NSFW Access
« Reply #8 on: 2020-05-14 22:09:26 »
Thanks for the tips everyone!

Do you think as long as I keep the foreskin retracted all day and most of the night (except when acccidently pulls back down), it will get keranitized?

I am a beginner, don't have much understanding of devices or anything and prefer not to put anything on it, but to naturally let the process happen.

Offline Hazeleye

• NSFW Access
« Reply #9 on: 2020-05-15 04:28:34 »
There is no "one-size-fits-all" type of technique in achieving being permanently pulled-back. As Jimble aptly mentioned earlier, depends where you fit in on the 'grower/shower' category how easy you may find it. It will range from use of various types of rings (numerous are mentioned in other threads here), various taping methods, and in case of a very tight frenulum, tying to free the foreskin somewhat (again described elsewhere). The bottom line, don't be afraid to try different methods on your own, like the rest of us have here. What works for one may not be effective for another.

To achieve the best permanent retraction you would be best to try to develop deep shaft wrinkles. If possible, in certain cases, it can be just as effective as being circumcized, the foreskin will never, ever cover the glans at any time, it can be that effective.

And yes, the longer the time that you can be back between being covered, the easier you will find the glans drying and adapting to being exposed. I personally don't like the term 'keratinization' here. Some may find there be a change to the glans surface but keratinization implies an extra layer of keratin. The main purpose is to lessen the sensitivity to the glans so you notice the feeling less. This lessening is also in various degrees with different fellows.

Offline bioshock0706

• NSFW Access
« Reply #10 on: 2020-05-19 12:42:59 »
Thanks everyone!