News:

A forum for people interested in keeping the foreskin pulled back — be it for fun, for health reasons or anything else: Let's share experience, methods, stories and all that about our pulled back foreskins.

NB. This is not a circumcision support group. While there's no problem with cut guys, this isn't your place to live out your foreskin removal fetish — plenty of forums for that elsewhere.

Other than that: please read the Readme in the readme forum, write an intro... have fun I guess? :)

Please note that registration is manually approved due to Russian bot spam. Do not register multiple accounts, just wait till approved.

Main Menu

3D Printing Retraction Rings (or accessories).

Started by GhostFace, 2022-10-12 02:27:12

Previous topic - Next topic

GhostFace

Heya!

So the other day I was thinking, I keep seeing people talking about using rings to help with retraction and usually getting frustrated while hunting for rings to buy because the ones they got were too thin, too small, too big or anything in between really, I've read many complaints.

But, we live in a day and age that 3D printing is a thing (and so is CNC I guess, but I know nothing about that), and buying "printing services" isn't out of this realm (as buying a printer is FAR more expensive), besides, it's just a ring, whoever you pay to print and mail it to you won't really know what it is, as long as you don't name your file something like ultimate_retractor.stl.

With 3D stuff, you can model and scale things up that fit juuuuuust right on you, you can also have different shapes/overhangs and what not to try different things, so you know, it just makes sense it would be the optimal thing to try and I didn't see anyone talk about it so far.

A few points of concern in my opinion:
✮ Skin irritability: There are MANY types of filaments and not so many types of resins, but remember that resin printing is even used for dental implants, there are the (expensive) so called bio-compatible resins. I own a Resin 3D printer (an Anycubic Photon Mono X), and got not experience with filament printers, but I will say, from experience, resin staying in contact with own skin generally doesn't cause harm as long as it went through post-curing, people don't really wear bland resin prints as ornaments because the sun will overcure it (uv light) making it turn yellow (and I heard of a few brands becoming brittle). This could depend on what resin you use, so ideally you want to do a small contact test before actually wearing it, and you can always coat it with something, but again, getting a printed part should be cheap, specially this small, you're likely to pay more for post services than for the print.
✮ Supports and Sharp Edges: Nothing that some light sanding can't take care of, but more complex shapes requires supports in order to print properly, and resin prints can have sharp edges as resin printing is really precise, you can counter that by just modeling round edges with resin tho.

Going a bit further, people tend to prefer silicone rings, and not all types of silicone rings are safe for skin contact actually, still, with 3D printing you can print the mold and cast silicone yourself to make the ring, multiple times should it break, as well as making sure you're using skin-safe stuff.

Going off part durability, resin is hard and can break if dropped or be uncomfortable if you sleep against it for example, there's flexible ones (that I never used) but I think filament prints are better in this aspect. Still, both should be cheap to try out.

What are y'all thoughts on this? If it works out designs could even be shared around / adjusted.
Feel free to mail me anything, it might take up to a week for me to actually see and reply to it though, but I always check Discord.

konfied88

This is, I have to say, an inspired idea and potentially a lot of efford to put into the subject. Have you got into production since you wrote the post?

GhostFace

Quote from: konfied88 on 2022-10-18 11:07:09
This is, I have to say, an inspired idea and potentially a lot of efford to put into the subject. Have you got into production since you wrote the post?

Haven't had time to mess around in 3D stuff (and do test prints) as I'm having to deal with a few things. Was mostly wondering if anyone had looked into it before, and we could end up with a community design for comfort and such in the long run.
Feel free to mail me anything, it might take up to a week for me to actually see and reply to it though, but I always check Discord.

ThePiemel

First problem is getting the 3D designs. There are some 3D object scanners around but most won't have one. Your 3D printer has to know what to print.

The technology however is still pretty new. I would not be surprised if it would develop rapidly.

What if you could 3D scan the whole penis with the ring on and off, or spooned or whatever. Then (anonymously) post it somewhere or send it, download the attachment, so someone else could easily print comparison material to his own member? Of course nobody would do such things. Such a device would probably officially be marketed for other purposes. But when the possibility is included, whoever makes it will be very rich soon. I can imagine. As would be swapping ring designs. Or adjusting those to size. Patience! But when such things make money, it won't be long. The basic technology exists. (Same happenend with the first xerox machines while scanners did not exist. And someone found out the secretary could sit on it...  ;D ;D ;D)

Kylar

Quote from: ThePiemel on 2022-10-21 16:16:50
First problem is getting the 3D designs. There are some 3D object scanners around but most won't have one. Your 3D printer has to know what to print.

The technology however is still pretty new. I would not be surprised if it would develop rapidly.

What if you could 3D scan the whole penis with the ring on and off, or spooned or whatever. Then (anonymously) post it somewhere or send it, download the attachment, so someone else could easily print comparison material to his own member? Of course nobody would do such things. Such a device would probably officially be marketed for other purposes. But when the possibility is included, whoever makes it will be very rich soon. I can imagine. As would be swapping ring designs. Or adjusting those to size. Patience! But when such things make money, it won't be long. The basic technology exists. (Same happenend with the first xerox machines while scanners did not exist. And someone found out the secretary could sit on it...  ;D ;D ;D)

I don't think scanners are really necessary... if there's a model for a ring or whatever shape the device will get — based on the file that the designer releases, it can be printed on any other machine to the same size (with caveats about various competing formats, the printer's capabilities, and the printing material).  If you have a little bit of know-how, you can scale the item to match your size if it turned out to be too big or too small.

GhostFace

Quote from: ThePiemel on 2022-10-21 16:16:50

You seem a bit out of the loop when it comes to 3D printing, it has been around since ~2010s, I wouldn't call it new, there are room for improvements (on the health side of things more specifically, resin IS dangerous to deal with when not cured (skin irritations and if you happen to walk into the sun with uncured resin on your skin, expect a bad burn), filament leave fumes, and overall to make it cheaper.

As for getting a design, it's a bit of a playing around with things really until you make something that you feel might be comfortable, you can download *ANY* 3D software (to name the biggest one (and it's free): Blender, to name one that is easy to deal with: Microsoft's 3D Builder, but virtually any 3d software should do).

Best of all? All 3D models are fully editable once you have the file on your hands. Not the easiest thing to do if you got no prior 3D knowledge, but shouldn't take you more than a day to get the hang of basic things.

Quote from: Kylar on 2022-10-21 20:55:42
I don't think scanners are really necessary... if there's a model for a ring or whatever shape the device will get — based on the file that the designer releases, it can be printed on any other machine to the same size (with caveats about various competing formats, the printer's capabilities, and the printing material).  If you have a little bit of know-how, you can scale the item to match your size if it turned out to be too big or too small.

Machine printing volume isn't that much of an issue as we are talking about dick rings (rofl), things aren't that big, pretty much any printer out there is big enough to print it. We are likely to run into another issue of the printed piece breaking when removing from the print bed since its likely to be thin/small, supports and rafts are likely to be needed which will need to be dealt with post-print (I only deal with resin printing, I think it would be harder to get a filament one for thin/small pieces).

About scaling, yeah, each dick is custom built so it would only be fair if each piece was custom printed, hard to have a one size fits all scenario unless we are going the mold route for casting silicone rings, which is stretchy after all. But scaling is easy, get a string and 'tie' it around your dick, measure it, and do X/3.14, the result is your ring diameter and you can just scale your model to that and it should be good to go. A point of interest for me is accommodating frenulums as I've seen people complain about that, all that is needed is a bit of a 'dent' on one side of a ring I believe

Kylar

Quote from: GhostFace on 2022-10-22 11:44:39
Machine printing volume isn't that much of an issue as we are talking about dick rings (rofl), things aren't that big, pretty much any printer out there is big enough to print it. We are likely to run into another issue of the printed piece breaking when removing from the print bed since its likely to be thin/small, supports and rafts are likely to be needed which will need to be dealt with post-print (I only deal with resin printing, I think it would be harder to get a filament one for thin/small pieces).

I didn't even mention volume or volume limits being a problem :P  It's obvious that a cockring-sized something will fit in pretty much anything capable of drooling plastic in a programmed manner ;D  I meant size in response to ThePiemel's confusion: if one designs something to be 1 cm diameter, it will (likely) be 1 cm diameter on someone else's machine too.  Resizing was mentioned so as to accomodate different penises' different size requirements (hence: scaling in whatever app you model in).  And capabilities: not every printer can print with the same materials, to the same resolution, etc.

GhostFace

Quote from: Kylar on 2022-10-22 22:23:58
I didn't even mention volume or volume limits being a problem :P  It's obvious that a cockring-sized something will fit in pretty much anything capable of drooling plastic in a programmed manner ;D  I meant size in response to ThePiemel's confusion: if one designs something to be 1 cm diameter, it will (likely) be 1 cm diameter on someone else's machine too.  Resizing was mentioned so as to accomodate different penises' different size requirements (hence: scaling in whatever app you model in).  And capabilities: not every printer can print with the same materials, to the same resolution, etc.

Oh I see, I misread that. With filament printers I think it has to do with remperatures and resin printers it has to do with wave length, but I will say, I haven't heard of modern printers not being capable of using certain materials.

Now for resolution, yeah, cheaper printers (and all filament ones for the matter) can't really do details, resin is far better for that, the good news is that I am thinking of something more "flat", without many small curves, so any should be capable, if they leave rough edges (supports included), some light sanding will take care of it.

ThePiemel

There are already 3D concrete printers. To print entire houses. But for foreskin rings most likely the right resolution nor the best material. There are 3D hamburger printers. At least softer material than concrete. And you could print a new whopper every day. There is already some 3D organ printing. Best feat yet: a stem cell ear and all acoustics seemed to work better.

We are getting close to selecting a new model every year. Have it fitted and no more messing with rings, spoons, or tape. Getting the nerves to heal is still time consuming but progress is being made in that field as well.

For now, there are no printing designs available for those rings. And you would not want a copy in concrete, now would you. Or have it look like a printed lazanja. Or maybe you would.

Kylar

Quote from: ThePiemel on 2022-10-23 21:37:52
For now, there are no printing designs available for those rings. And you would not want a copy in concrete, now would you. Or have it look like a printed lazanja. Or maybe you would.

That was the point of GhostFace though.  To make such designs and share them.  And of course the idea is to have them out of the usual home 3D print materials like PLA and other plastic stuff.  Or that flexible thing, TPU I think it's called?  No idea how good an idea it is to wear these materials on one's penis, but the idea is there.

GhostFace

Quote from: Kylar on 2022-10-24 01:33:54
That was the point of GhostFace though.  To make such designs and share them.  And of course the idea is to have them out of the usual home 3D print materials like PLA and other plastic stuff.  Or that flexible thing, TPU I think it's called?  No idea how good an idea it is to wear these materials on one's penis, but the idea is there.

Aye, from my experience on resin, skin contact isn't really an issue, its comfort that will make or break it really, there are flexible resins but they're still hard. But again, it is possible to invert the design and print a cast so you can por in silicone and have the piece be silicone instead of w/e, this is how they make a LOT of stuff, of course once you have a mold you can recast it to your heart's content