News:

A forum for people interested in keeping the foreskin pulled back — be it for fun, for health reasons or anything else: Let's share experience, methods, stories and all that about our pulled back foreskins.

NB. This is not a circumcision support group. While there's no problem with cut guys, this isn't your place to live out your foreskin removal fetish — plenty of forums for that elsewhere.

Other than that: please read the Readme in the readme forum, write an intro... have fun I guess? :)

Please note that registration is manually approved due to Russian bot spam. Do not register multiple accounts, just wait till approved.

Main Menu

Could pulling back ever replace circumcision...thoughts guys?

Started by mjed, 2023-08-21 21:04:34

Previous topic - Next topic

mjed

Having been around here for a while, it got me thinking.  Do you think there could ever be a global culture change where the rituals of circumcision could be replaced by encouraging kids to pull back their foreskins as soon as they are able and get into the habit of leaving  them back?  Nothing needs to be said other than it is better to leave it back.  Circumcision could then be reserved for cases of medical need and save kids losing a very sensitive piece of their equipment without their consent if they can just leave it back. Surely this non-permanent method is preferable in modern society.  In some countries the process is quite barbaric.

It would save healthcare hundreds of millions of bucks per year and the annoyance of foreskin restoration efforts done by some. I've read examples in here of Japanese historical culture where pulling back was encouraged but not any more.   There are other examples where guys in here started before puberty with good results as an adult.   Many say they look as if they are circumcised but still have a foreskin.

Any thoughts guys? 

GarethUK

Interesting idea, but I think the starting point needs to be to think about what is supposedly achieved by circumcision. Leaving aside medically needed ones, I presume that most pro-circers would say that the bonus is better hygiene, yet I doubt that many uncut men would feel that they have any problems in that regard. Others might just say that it looks better, yet that is very subjective and depends a lot on what you are used to seeing.  Many here would say that reduced sensitivity you get from staying bare headed is a bonus, but Im sure many others who don't "get it" in the way we do would say exactly the opposite. So, although I'm sure most here would say that  encouraging retraction would be a much better option than routine circumcision in a situation when it was a plain either/or, the issue remains as to why you'd justify encouraging everyone to be bare headed anyway. I reckon most uncut men are perfectly happy being covered over for most of the time, even though us here in our niche feel differently. I'm not sure how encouraging all kids to stay retracted could be justified, though I'd be happy if it were better known that it is an option. Personally, I think just discouraging routine circumcision should be the aim of any cultural shift, and saying that it's better for everyone to have their glans exposed, much though many of us here enjoy that, would somehow rather dilute the anti-circ message.

HeroicGlance

Interesting proposition, but, geez - I don't think it would work.

Firstly, ritual religious circumcision, such as in Judaism & Islam, is pretty damned adamant - that skin's gotta just go. 

However: I HAVE seen interviews with members of VERY progressive Jewish congregations who acknowledge that the procedure is a simple "blood ritual."   They simply making a very small incision on the infant's foreskin that is enough to cause the least amount of bloodletting, after which, they leave the foreskin intact.  Personally, I have never spoken to a member of such a congregation to ask whether any of them pull things back to "look/feel more Jewish."  Such would be an interesting discussion - but in the end, I think they'd say "Judaism isn't just about foreskins, ya know."

Muslims - my goodness, I doubt they'd ever accept that, even though it is NEVER mentioned in the Koran.  Their prophet was supposedly born circumcised, which is sus (perhaps he was a retractor...)

In non-religious circumstances - well, I live in the USA where at one time, 90% of the male population had their foreskins lopped off, because a crazy cornflake guy named Kellogg thought it was a great way to keep boys from masturbating (he also thought pouring hydrochloric acid on a woman's clitoris was a good idea, too.)

Truth be told, I think the practice caught on after that, because it was "convenient."

After all:  why educate a child on how to care of themselves "In that area", when you can just remove half of "That area" a few days after they are born, and never even have to have such a conversation?

Personally, I think that someday, we'll get to a point where circumcision is abandoned entirely, and the decision to retract is left up to the individual.
Retracting for 21 years. Heterosexual.

CuriousSkinner

Its an interesting question. I dont neccessarily agree that it does look better pulled back, I still like to see a nice foreskin. However, beside the religious aspects I do think there is a lot to be gained from good hygeine practicies and even intermittent retracting.

Other than talking on the internet, I think its fair to say most people don't talk about these sorts of things with one another which is a shame as facts are sometimes quite hard to come by. 

hung.part.timer

It's certainly possible imo, but would take significant change.

Japan did it for a time, but my basic sociological understanding is that perhaps a smallish population & homogeneous culture may have been key. So considering the very populous world is quite interconnected now and absolutely not homogeneous it will never replace circ fully.

First step is letting go or all non-religious circs, and attempting to solve phimosis with early foreskin edu. Then somehow establishing and transferring the practice of staying retracted for fun, looks, pleasure. I think the one hurdle for us is that I would want my son to be making an informed, unpressured, and consenting choice but also to benefit from an early start.

The belief the prophet was born cut was new to me  :-\ !

Good thought experiment.

ThePiemel

It is, and not only penis wise, a very sensitive subject. Because in several cultures it is a religious thing. Or not even religious but everybody does it (even to their kids). It can make people angry for nothing.

Then it is also a medical thing. In the medical world, they are still at times a bit primitive. The function of the penis still often defined as for peeing and procreation. And nothing else. As long as those functions are not inhibited, any modification is not a problem. The logic like, removing ear lobes is no problem because you can still hear music. They have no function. My dentist tried to tell me that when he wanted to pull out my wisdom teeth. They have no function. The same with getting rid of half or the whole foreskin. You can still pee. You still can procreate. Other functions, medical science does not know. Even while they might have a penis themselves.

I think my foreskin definitely has a function. But would not want to even ask anyone with any religious, cultural or scientific background why or why not. Personally I am very glad I still have my foreskin and that it is still in one piece. Not a subject for discussion because it is about my personal penis. And I know its function very well. Especially when rolled back. It simply feels nice, day and night. But I would not want to lose a centimeter of it.

mjed

Thanks for the replies so far....keep thinking about it guys.....