Author Topic: Site updates  (Read 52196 times)

Offline Teasle

• NSFW Access
Re: Site updates
« Reply #15 on: 2017-03-08 09:51:05 »
Hi guys,

love your site but i wanted to ask if its possible to add a feature to the site.

Could it be possible that you would be alerted when your post or messages gets a reply, maybe by sound or a sign on the chrome tab?

Offline Kylar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: 2017-03-11 22:37:18 »
the forum engine doesn't support desktop notifications, but you can subscribe to the thread you want to get alerts on and then you get email notifications

Offline Kylar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: 2017-09-19 18:49:58 »
Someone asked me in a PM whether it is possible to use https on the forum, so I finally looked into Let's Encrypt and it worked like a charm.  Like, seriously, pretty much no configuration needed.

Please tell me if something appears broken, I'll attempt to fix it.

Offline Teasle

• NSFW Access
« Reply #18 on: 2017-09-19 18:51:53 »
I have no idea about website stuff and maybe this is to much to write but what are the benefits of https?

Offline Kylar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: 2017-09-19 19:24:52 »
I have no idea about website stuff and maybe this is to much to write but what are the benefits of https?

HTTPS is secure, and more and more the default on the web.  The data flow between your machine that displays the web site, and the server that hosts it, is encrypted.  It was high time I did this but I forgot about it, though one of the reasons behind moving to a less outdated machine last december was that I'd be able to use Let's Encrypt (which is much easier than previous secure certificate solutions) — unfortunately I had forgotten about it and for the most part neglected the forum...

If you have set Yahoo IM address in your profile, the link to the image there (the little Y! logo icon) is via unencrypted HTTP, which of course makes the browsers unhappy whenever they encounter this.  Not sure about the other IM services.

I'll see if I can patch the forum software up to something more recent.  Stay tuned for breakage.

Offline Kylar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: 2017-09-19 19:46:34 »
This is bordering scary, it worked :D  Updated from 2.0.6 (2013) all the way up to 2.0.14

Offline Teasle

• NSFW Access
« Reply #21 on: 2017-09-19 19:58:28 »
Well awesome to hear that the site is more secure now :) Did this change the "Hidden" person too on the main site that states who is online, because i have never seen this before :D ?

Offline Kylar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: 2017-09-19 23:24:12 »
Well awesome to hear that the site is more secure now :) Did this change the "Hidden" person too on the main site that states who is online, because i have never seen this before :D ?

Ah that's nothing special, I think one of the admin accounts is set to hidden like that.

Offline Kylar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: 2018-05-13 21:52:33 »
I'll attempt to upgrade the server to a newer version, hang on tight...

Offline Kylar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: 2018-05-14 19:26:22 »
Mail wasn't going out due to... well, the world trying to be tougher on spam.
I think I fixed it, some of you probably got a few outdated PM emails and topic notifications and whatnot.
As such, password reset also works now, at least against gmail.

Offline Kylar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: 2018-05-25 15:41:01 »
I installed a GDPR mod and a privacy policy.

Long story short though:
– As all web sites in the world, this forum uses cookies to function, otherwise you wouldn't be able to be "logged in" as HTTP is a stateless protocol.
– The cookie is only used within this forum
– There are no ads, don't worry about them stealing your data.
– You are not forced to share Personally Identifying Data about yourself whatsoever, in fact, you can use an email address for registration that is dedicated to this site.  The forum software uses your email to send you password reset, and notification emails, all of which are either requested or useful, or opt-in.
– We don't ask you your name, birthday/age, sex, or location; if you share some of those with the community, it really is your own choice.
– You have the right to be forgotten, but if you didn't share anything personally identifying, there's pretty much no point.

Offline Kylar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: 2018-06-20 23:11:02 »
I went through and removed any spam-suspicious accounts and also ones that have never said a thing and haven't been logged into since 2017-01-01.

This made the forum size go down by about 500 people.

Offline Kylar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: 2019-01-18 09:46:28 »
I will need to do an OS upgrade, and by that I mean real soon.  You might see this message after I'm done.

Update: Aaaaand done.
« Last Edit: 2019-01-18 10:27:10 by Kylar »

Offline Kylar

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: 2019-07-25 15:37:06 »
Fucking Russians are at it again. No other country ever spams. Anyway, deleted them, now to close the 27 moderation reports.

I changed the registration question and made the accounts depend on admin approval.  Fuck this.

Offline simon.snorkle

• NSFW Access
« Reply #29 on: 2019-07-25 17:42:08 »
Seems to be working fine here in the UK.
Wonder why the Russians have 'attacked' here, I thought they would be turning all their attention towards "Ronald Dump"  :) :) :) :)